Re: Automated Ticketing - Brunswick Depot

On 28 Mar 1998 12:16:30 GMT, "Roderick Smith" <rodsmith@werple.net.au>
wrote:

>When I get out of a suburban train at Flinders St, the machine tells me
>that my ticket is valid to 2.00 next morning; I can't see any need to
>validate it again on boarding an Elizabeth St tram: it has already been
>validated.
>
>The introduction of Metcard has been accompanied by much doublespeak from
>politicians and PTC officials.
>
>You can always tell when something *isn't* easy: promotional material is
>prefixed with the sentence: 'Using Metcard is so easy...'
>--

  Why are you any different to buses when using a tram. If I were to
buy a weekly ticket (In Canberra for eg), the first time I use that
ticket the machine validates it. It is then "Valid" for the next seven
days. BUT EVERY TIME I board the bus it must be reinserted into the
validator to be CHECKED to see if the ticket is vaild. If you opened
your mind and stopped being petty and norrow minded you would realise
that the name VALIDATOR is just a bloody name, it dosn't mean that it
validates your ticket every time, as it also checks the tickets. Also
if you don't insert your ticket into the 'validator', because you
think it is valid, HTF is the operator going to know how many people
boarded the tram/bus/train and try and get their money back from who
ever controls that and also how are they going to gather stats to help
improve the service for you. I think its about time all you Metcard
whingers ceased and get used to the system and help make it work.

 Ashley Wright, Sydney, soon to be Canberra, Australia
 ajwright@ozemail.com.au
 www:  http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ajwright