Re: New railway stations in Melbourne

David Bromage wrote:

> Translib Pty. Ltd. (enquiry@translib.com.au) wrote:
> >Yes, an additional track between Box Hill and Ringwood, but I am not
> >sure whether an additional line is required between Burnley and Box
> Hill
> >considering the current 3 tracks (with a bidirectional centre line
> works
> >quite well) are not yet reach their full usage capacity or are they?
>
> Maybe an extra line from Burnley to Camberwell.

David,

I don't think an extra line can be achieved without spending a lot of
money by the P.T.C, for example:

* Additional platform at Camberwell, Auburn, Glenferrie, and Hawthorn;
* Get rid-off Siding A at Camberwell and this means during weekday
off-peak, Alamein shuttle service has to dock somewhere else (I don't
think the P.T.C. can expand the cutting without buying private
properties along either side of the cutting!);
* Additional track through Glenferrie affect Swinburne University, as
existing buildings are fairly close to the railway reserve;
* Can the P.T.C. install another track underneath the Burwood Road
overpass at Hawthorn (city end)?  The bridge clearance is minimum and
there is insufficient room to put in another track next to the existing
down line.

Besides, additional line only benefits during peak periods, but during
off-peak and weekend, only two lines are required.  Therefore, I don't
think this is money well-spend.

Cheers,

I.C.

Translib Pty. Ltd.                                 A.C.N. 077 950 513
712 Glenferrie Road                        Telephone: +61 3 9815 1233
Hawthorn  VIC  3122                        Facsimile: +61 3 9815 1299
Australia                              Email: enquiry@translib.com.au
                                 Internet: http://www.translib.com.au
Books and Media            Information Service             Stationery
Serving Your Library and Office Needs
Purchasing Victoria and MAPS Group CCT Approved Library Supplier