Re: New railway stations in Melbourne

>         There have always been suggestions of electrification to many
places
> by both tram and train and most public-transport savvy Melburnians would
be
> aware of many of them but I think it is safe to assume that these are
only
> ever always and in most cases will probably only be election talk which
as
> soon as a government is voted in will never be heard again for 3 years.
(eg
> Airport railways, Knox City tram, South Morang railway with Mill Park
> station, South Morang light rail from Bundoora, electrification to
> Coolaroo/Craigieburn via Broadmeadows or Upfield, Sunbury
electrification,
> Melton/Bacchus Marsh electrification, Geelong electrification, Stony
> Point/Baxter/Somerville electrification although given the transport
> minister is member for Mornington, if voters take an interest, they may
get
> some electrification and/or rail service to Mornington; Cranbourne East
> electrification/extension, minor extensions to tram lines to link to
railway
> stations such as East Malvern and Box Hill; Doncaster tram via North
Balwyn
> and light rail via Smith Street, Alexandra Parade and Freeway; extra line
> between Burnley and Box Hill, extra line between Box Hill and Ringwood;
> duplication of rail lines between Eltham and Greensborough, Upper
Ferntree
> Gully to Upwey, Croydon to Lilydale, Fawkner to Gowrie, Altona line
between
> Laverton and Newport; etc, etc,etc)

And out of that whole extensive list, the only one which actually gets
built is Fawkner to Gowrie. It must be the least inportant of all of them!!

BTW, the second track looks almost ready to go: the platform at Fawkner is
build, the track is laid and ballasted, and connected in at Gowrie (but not
Fawkner). The overhead is up the whole way. (Don't know about the
signalling). Can't be long now.

Regards,

Mike Alexander
(malex@bigfoot.com)