>poster telling commuters that
> (something along the life of) " ...
 >Metcards should be purchased at
>  the machines ..." here at Glenferrie
 >(and Camberwell?).  I have even
>  heard a rumour that those booking
 > office
 >machines will not be there forever!!

PTC staff have been advised to try to get people to use the machines.
Not only that, but given the BOMs are a bit of a pain to use and it is
much easier for station staff to give you change to use the machine as
it makes the end of day accounting so much easier (no sales = no adding up
ticket sales or getting the days takings bagged up ready to be taken away or
ringing up Armaguard to arrange for a collection.)
Hence station staff prefer to get you to use the machine unless it is broken
down majorly as it suits them much better, especially evening shifts where
the few sales just aren't worth it.

> So how do you buy a ticket with a credit
>  card from a station?
> Do they refuse to sell a ticket if you
>  want to pay by credit card?
>
>Use larger ticket machines outside (if available), unless they are
>defective!  As far as I know, the P.T.C. is trying to "force" people to
>buy tickets from ticketing machines, convenient stores or telephone
>orders.  Most credit cards are accepted at those point of sales.

Actually, the BOM has an EFTPOS machine connected to it which accepts debit
and
credit cards, same as the machine EFTPOS slot.