Re: Boxpoc

In article <6f226q$jak$1@gruvel.une.edu.au>,
  dbromage@metz.une.edu.au (David Bromage) wrote:

> Greg Olson-Hyde (datamech@eis.net.au) wrote:
> >What was the advantage of the Boxpoc (spelling?) wheel over
> >the conventional spoked wheel on steam locos?
>
> They were lighter for the same strength and easier to cast.
>
> >I know the 38's had them and the Southern locos ("Battle of
> >Britain" and "Merchant Navy" classes) in England had them -
> >any others?
>
> Later batches of the VR K class (e.g. K183 built 1943, K190 built 1946).
> Wheelsets were often swapped around in the workshops and I have seen
> photos of Ks and Ns with both types.
>
> VR started to build bits for the R class at Newport as early as 1941, but
> the war got in the way and North British eventially built them with SCOA-P
> wheels. A2.986 has 6' "poxy" driving wheels which were made for an R.
>
> Cheers
> David

Another advantage with Boxpoc Wheels was that there was lees deflection at
the rim (no gaps between the spokes) so the tyres wouldn't work loose as
easily as they could with conventional spoked wheels.

David, where they easier to cast? The wheels are not solid, so it would take
a bit of effort to make up sand cores etc for each wheel.

Would they be lighter too?

See ya

Brett