Re: Boxpoc

Greg Olson-Hyde (datamech@eis.net.au) wrote:
>What was the advantage of the Boxpoc (spelling?) wheel over
>the conventional spoked wheel on steam locos?

They were lighter for the same strength and easier to cast.

>I know the 38's had them and the Southern locos ("Battle of
>Britain" and "Merchant Navy" classes) in England had them -
>any others?

Later batches of the VR K class (e.g. K183 built 1943, K190 built 1946).
Wheelsets were often swapped around in the workshops and I have seen
photos of Ks and Ns with both types.

VR started to build bits for the R class at Newport as early as 1941, but
the war got in the way and North British eventially built them with SCOA-P
wheels. A2.986 has 6' "poxy" driving wheels which were made for an R.

Cheers
David