Re: Boxpoc

In article <6f4e05$hmu$1@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, brett.fitzpatrick@employment.gov.au writes...

>In article <6f226q$jak$1@gruvel.une.edu.au>,

>  dbromage@metz.une.edu.au (David Bromage) wrote:

>> Greg Olson-Hyde (datamech@eis.net.au) wrote:
>> >What was the advantage of the Boxpoc (spelling?) wheel over
>> >the conventional spoked wheel on steam locos?
	Boxpok.  (form an advert in the Loco Cyclopedia)

>> They were lighter for the same strength and easier to cast.

>> >I know the 38's had them and the Southern locos ("Battle of
>> >Britain" and "Merchant Navy" classes) in England had them -
>> >any others?

>> Later batches of the VR K class (e.g. K183 built 1943, K190 built 1946).
>> Wheelsets were often swapped around in the workshops and I have seen
>> photos of Ks and Ns with both types.

>> VR started to build bits for the R class at Newport as early as 1941, but
>> the war got in the way and North British eventially built them with SCOA-P
>> wheels. A2.986 has 6' "poxy" driving wheels which were made for an R.

>Another advantage with Boxpoc Wheels was that there was lees deflection at
>the rim (no gaps between the spokes) so the tyres wouldn't work loose as
>easily as they could with conventional spoked wheels.

>David, where they easier to cast? The wheels are not solid, so it would take
>a bit of effort to make up sand cores etc for each wheel.

>Would they be lighter too?

	I'd have to look up the advert.  My recollection was: Lighter, Stronger,
	capable of better balance (dynamic...)

thanks
dave pierson                        |the facts, as accurately as i can manage,
Digital Equipment Corporation       |the opinions, my own.
334 South St                        |
Shrewsbury, Mass USA                 pierson@gone.enet.dec.com
"He has read everything, and, to his credit, written nothing."  A J Raffles
"....the net of a million lies...."	Anon