Re: Boxpoc

brett.fitzpatrick@employment.gov.au wrote:
>Another advantage with Boxpoc Wheels was that there was lees deflection at
>the rim (no gaps between the spokes) so the tyres wouldn't work loose as
>easily as they could with conventional spoked wheels.
>
>David, where they easier to cast? The wheels are not solid, so it would take
>a bit of effort to make up sand cores etc for each wheel.

I had been told they were easier to cast than spoked wheels. Not in terms
of making the gap between the discs, but the cores were less prone to
damage during casting. You'd probably have fewer failed castings.

>Would they be lighter too?

You'd have to calculate the cross section, but I think the thinner double
discs would be lighter than 20+ full depth spokes.

The SCOA-P wheels were definately lighter than ordinary spokes.

Cheers
David