Re: Oh no! More pronounciation questions

mauried@commslab.gov.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:

>In article <6eahoj$ajr$1@news.mel.aone.net.au> "Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> writes:

>>>Together with about 20 other people, I part own a property at
>>>Talong..... all of the 20 owners pronounce it Tay-long... are we all
>>>wet behind the ears?
>
>>In 1974 and 1975 I worked at Medway Junction which was then the next block
>>station south of Tallong. The signalmen at Tallong (None of whom lived
>>anywhere near the place) all pronounced it as TALLong (The first syllable
>>rhyming with pal, not ball). Does anyone know whether this section still
>>operates under NSW Standard Block?

Agree definitely with TAL-ong with the TAL as in pal.

>Sure does , the sections are Medway Jnct - Wingello - Bundanoon - Exeter,with
>Wingello & Bundanoon switching out on part of the weekends.
>Nothing like the latest in safeworking technology.
>Its a pity we still dont have any Tyers One wire block left.
>I suspect these sections along with Harden Sth - Wallandbeen are the last of a
>kind in NSW.

Correct. Actually Harden Sth - Demondrille - Wallendbeen but Demondrille
is only cut in when required to work the branch.

However Medway Jct - Marulan is now double line automatic whereas it would
have been standard block when Barry worked there. Also Tallong itself has
long since ceased to be a block station.

Eddie Oliver