Re: Oh no! More pronounciation questions

In article <6eahoj$ajr$1@news.mel.aone.net.au> "Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>From: "Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Oh no! More pronounciation questions
>Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:50:53 +1000

>Geoff Lambert wrote in message <6eaehp$jdj$1@mirv.unsw.edu.au>...

><snip>
>>
>>Together with about 20 other people, I part own a property at
>>Talong..... all of the 20 owners pronounce it Tay-long... are we all
>>wet behind the ears?

>In 1974 and 1975 I worked at Medway Junction which was then the next block
>station south of Tallong. The signalmen at Tallong (None of whom lived
>anywhere near the place) all pronounced it as TALLong (The first syllable
>rhyming with pal, not ball). Does anyone know whether this section still
>operates under NSW Standard Block?

>Barry Campbell

Sure does , the sections are Medway Jnct - Wingello - Bundanoon - Exeter,with
Wingello & Bundanoon switching out on part of the weekends.
Nothing like the latest in safeworking technology.
Its a pity we still dont have any Tyers One wire block left.
I suspect these sections along with Harden Sth - Wallandbeen are the last of a
kind in NSW.

cheers
MD