Re: Brisbane Light Rail Proposals

fergusor@scanet.com.au wrote:

> When you say that the Briztram proposal should not go ahead if any of the
> above criteria were met ‹ resulting in the project being economically
> unfeasible - do you mean that there are more pressing transportation projects
> that require the funds, or do you mean that public transport should recover
> all its costs?

No, what I was saying was that if private enterprise is not interested in
funding/operating the proposed system, then the proposal must be
uneconomic and should not proceed.

Many such systems today proceed with private sector funding so as long as
the proposal is economically feasible it should not be hard to attract
private-sector participation.

I just think that the days of taxpayers and ratepayers being forced to
pay for uneconomic schemes should be put in the past.

Looking at the proposals, I certainly think that the proposed St Lucia to
New Farm via the city and Valley is economic, and there are other routes
which ought to be restored, too. Why stop the line at the hospital? The
Chermside line should be restored.

Dave McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand