Re: W-Class and ATMS

Daniel Bowen wrote in message <6doloe$b2e$1@eplet.mira.net.au>...
>crn@nellie.bby.com.au (Clive Newall) wrote:
>>Trams present a different problem to trains & buses with regard to ticket
>>validation.
>
>>Trains: You validate to gain entry to the platform, prior to boarding.
>
>Except of course most stations you don't need to validate to open a gate.
And
>those you do often have a gate left open (for non-MetCard ticket holders)
and
>unmanned so that some people don't validate anyway.
>
>>Buses:  Many (most?) have a single entrance, and I assume (I don't use
>>        buses) that the validator is placed somewhere near the door, so
>>        it would be "natural" to validate before taking a seat.
>
>The validator is right next to the driver, where you would have shown your
>ticket to the driver anyway.
>
>>Trams:  Ooops. Several doors. Validators on posts _away_ from the doors.
>
>Sorry? Don't know how often you catch trams Clive, but all the tram
validators
>I've seen have been directly opposite, or at the most, a couple of steps
away
>from the doors.

>>        Those damn ATMs in the middle of the tram, again away from the
doors.

>They are near doors - the doors at the centre of the tram. Mind you, most
people
>on routes that formerly used front door boarding haven't twigged they can
board
>by any door.
>
>>        So...how many people are likely to board, walk past several empty
>>        seats, validate their ticket, and then look for a seat?
>
>Actually from what I've seen on the 67, (running with Z1 trams) it seems to
be
>working quite well. I haven't seen the inspectors catch anyone yet.
>
>>        What about during peak hour? (The journey on #19 (Sydney Road)
will
>>        be half over before many passengers can get to a validator.)
>
>Again, on B class trams, the validator is right opposite the door. Getting
>the ticket machine could be a problem though.
>
>>        There used to (still are?) trams where the conductor was seated
near
>>        the front. Passengers had to go to the conductor to buy/show
tickets.
>>        On a crowded tram this presented a better chance of free travel
than
>>        a roving conductor. I suspect the validators will be treated
similarly.

>Both seated and roving conductors could be evaded. Seated conductors were a
>problem if both doors of the tram were opened - people could easily board
by the
>back door and not be noticed by the conductor, especially if the tram was

>crowded.

Some drivers used to just open the front door, causing a jam when boarding
at busy stops, but that made sure _most_ people's tickets were checked by
the seated conductors.

>And tt's very easy to board at the opposite end of a crowded tram to where
the
>conductor is, and pretend s/he has already seen your ticket. Even on a
>moderately crowded 75 (B class) tram a few years ago I once saw someone sit
down
>and stare out the window - and the conductor didn't notice her. Back then
it
>often seemed half the tickets were sold because people approached the
conductor,
>rather than the other way round.

But who would validate when there's no conductor or host there? _Most_
people just board the tram and sit down, with hardly anyone validating.
cheers
Johann