Re: Australian Railway Magazines which is best

telljb@ozemail.com.au (Tell) writes:

> Railway Digest is very much towards NSW, but there is a
> simple reason for this.  There are plenty of people in
> that State with the interest to go out noting and
> photographing rail events.
>
> I remember years ago that Australian Model Railway
> Magazine was pasted by some of it's readers for too
> many NSW modelling articles.

My beef with AMRM is that they, along with other (mainstream and in-house) mags
(local and interstate) publish data that is later proved to be incorrect, yet
seem to  avoid retractions.

The classic example is the NT Saga. They printed my own letter, yet they,
apparently, would not listen to others who picked up their mistake.

I certainly will not say that the magazine I edit is perfect, undoubtley,
despite cross referencing material with many kind and supportive colleagues, I
still let the odd error through.(I will decline on some grammatical probs in the
next edition, they are the softwares fault!)

I will however happily accept anyones corrections, if there is reasonable
substantiation (eg a CME, Senior Foreman, other hard copy evidence).

All magazines, and their editors, have the obligation to publish accurate data
that has been at least partly validated and checked. I certainly value magazines
that have sections for corrections, and one that, in my opinion, excells in this
area is RNV. Each copy I have seen has had a spot for corrections.

Nic Doncaster
Editor, "The Partyline"
In-house magazine of Steamtown, PRPS

Email for copy availability