Re: Number Of Platforms At CBD Stations

Ashley Wright wrote in message <34f7d8d8.30314849@news.ozemail.com.au>...

>  Part if the alignment is most likely gone for ever, as the eastern
>most two lanes of the Harbour bridge were designed with the beaches
>line in mind. The line by all accounts came out of Wynyard over the
>bride to a parallel Milsons Point station (which I believe was built).
>It was then to cross the highway and head for the beaches. Trams used
>the line from North Sydney to Wynyard for many years before their
>demise. Later the line was converted to road use and I beleive the
>tunnels were used as a car park and of all things a riffle firing
>range!!. Ahh the visonaries of the 50's and 60's.

Assuming the line was to use the existing North Sydney station, the only
bits of the alignment I know of were the tram tracks on the Eastern side of
the bridge passing through the parallel Milsons Point  station which was
altered to have ramps which brought the trams up to platform level. The line
then crossed the roadway on a bridge which took it to Nth Syd station. As
the line was only used by trams, they did not actually enter the station bt
took to the streets at that point. The bridge was demolished in the
seventies (i think) inc onnection with roadworks. However, my point is that
this is only the alignment for another pair of track across the bridge.
North of Nth Syd are four track tunnels and in places 4 track reservations
but was there ever any alignment reserved outside a mere expansion of the
existing corridor.

Barry Campbell