Re: Number Of Platforms At CBD Stations

Eddie Oliver wrote:

<SNIP>

> No. The only "hidden" (= never used for trains) tunnels are at St James
> and North Sydney (plus fragments at Wynyard if you count the old tram
> tunnels now largely used as parking space).
>
> Eddie Oliver

Bradfields original grand plan seems to suggest that platforms 1 & 2 at
Wynyard (now car parking) where originally intended to serve the never
built northern beaches railway (much of the alignment for which still
exists largely intact).  When that didn't proceed, the eastern side of
the bridge and Wynyard Plt 1 & 2 were used for trams.  Photos taken
during contruction of Wynyard I saw once seem to show 4 parallel tunnels
leading south from Wynyard station.  Does anyone know how far they lead,
and how they were intended to run into Town Hall?  The north shore
tunnels between Town Hall and Wynyard seem to head down and then come up
again, as though another tunnel passes above them, could this be part of
an underground fly-over (tunnel-under?) to allow the northern beaches
line to join the north shore line?

Michael Edge
Sydney, Australia

email: medge@sia.net.au