Re: WA Academic says Federal Gov has no rail savvy.

In article <6mtn31$70p$2@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net> telljb@ozemail.com.au (Tell) writes:
>From: telljb@ozemail.com.au (Tell)
>Subject: Re: WA Academic says Federal Gov has no rail savvy.
>Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:37:24 GMT

>rcook@pcug.org.au (Owen Cook) wrote:
>>The URL below is a DOT page, presumeably they have someone to write
>>their stuff

>>http://www.dot.gov.au/programs/workwedo.htm#rail

>Had a look in, thanks for the URL.  I was astonished at
>the incredible number of area's covered by this single
>department.  The amount on rail is so small as to be
>almost insignificant.  Makes you wonder.  I would love
>to know how many rail "experienced" people there are.

>The blurbs available for downloading are hardly
>inspirational, there is nothing in there we do not
>already know.  Big bucks for roads, bugger all for
>rail, although great play is made of the billion
>dollars National Rail were given to splurge on new
>loco's and service facilities.

>It would be great if the Professor would release his
>findings in detail.

>----Tell
>Alice Springs NT

Its hardly surprising that the beauracrats in Canberra know nothing about rail.
Ask yourself, why would they need to know anything about rail , when
historically the federal govt has had virtually no involvement in rail at all
in this country.
The only Federal involvement with rail was the old CR / ANR / AN , all of
which were commissions , not requireing any input from the DOT.
A more interesting question would be to ask exactly what do the beauracrats
who work in the Rail branch of DOT actually do on a day to day or year to year
basis.
To be fair , I have got a number of publications from the BTCE , who are a
separate part of the DOT , and they do seem to have a small understanding of
the fundamental problems in the Australian Rail scene, but the initial ABC
report is pretty much correct, the Feds simply dont have any people with rail
expertise.

Its also interesting to note that NRC wernt actually given $1 billion to blow
on new locos , NRC have a $1 billion debt which they have to repay over the
next 15 years, what chance of that happening.

cheers
MD