Re: HST's, pollies and dreamers.

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 18:58:35 +1000, "Ben Staples" <BenKim@bigpond.com>
wrote:

>I really can't see what the problem is. Eight billion, so what!! I really
>dont think this Melbourne Darwin railway goes far enough. If I had my way
>we'd be spending eight trillion on linking Australia with the asian mainland
>via PNG and Indonesia. We don't need ships, just really long tunnels.

>Ben Staples

Why bother with tunnels? Just build very long bridges. How about a
Sydney-Seattle viaduct? A rail link between Brisbane and Beijing (via
Boston)? But what we *really* need is a Perth-Pretoria bridge,
connecting with the Melbourne-Madras-Moscow line as well as the
Adelaide-Aberdeen rail link at a newly constructed rail junction on
the slopes of Big Ben at Heard Island. Not only would this save the
Australian economy, we would also become the world leaders in bridge
construction and it would make it far easier to protect Australia's
territorial waters from being poached by piratical fishermen. It would
also stop the government from preaching about the need for waterfront
reform. :)

Now I'll go back to lurking in the real world.

Roy Wilke