Re: HST's, pollies and dreamers.

Tell wrote in message <6mpt1g$5s4$1@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net>...
>Who would have guessed that the Melbourne to Darwin
>high speed railway would be back on the agenda.
>
>I see a big problem.  The world's economies are in
>turmoil at the moment, keep your eyes on Japan, this is
>a real worry.  Any idea's where you would raise 8 BIL
>bucks to build a railway from Melbourne to Darwin.
>A railway incidentally, that has nothing but hot air
>going for it at the moment.
>
>The Alice to Darwin railway has been on the agenda for
>a long time and is in it's final stages of planning.
>Whoever wins the contract will probably have trouble
>raising 1.2 BILLION, never mind 8 BILLION.!
>
>Any thoughts.
>
>----Tell
>Alice Springs NT

I really can't see what the problem is. Eight billion, so what!! I really
dont think this Melbourne Darwin railway goes far enough. If I had my way
we'd be spending eight trillion on linking Australia with the asian mainland
via PNG and Indonesia. We don't need ships, just really long tunnels.

Ben Staples