Re: QR Moree extension

David Bromage wrote:

> M.B. and C.M.McDonald (Michael.and.Colleen.Mcdonald@xtra.co.nz) wrote:
> >When I visited Charleville last March I thought that support was a bit
> >thin.  Would dearly love to see a well-filled passenger train.  A loco
> >breakdown meant that all 16 passengers for the 6 or 7-carriage train to
> >Brisbane had to be conveyed by mini-bus to Morven.  Maximum loading on the
> >train can't have been any higher than 30.
>
> I take the point that loading can be a bit light, but it is merely a
> glorified mixed train. If QR invested in some modern diesel railcars
> (maybe a version of the Australind) and ran a daylight service things
> might be different.
>
> Cheers
> David

Maybe one solution to the loading problem might be to run through trains
a la

Sydney to Moree to Brisbane

Ideally the service would be run during daylight hours so that
passengers along the route would not have to get up in the early hours
of the morning to go to either capital city. To some extent the train
could replace the existing Moree service whilst providing a new
westbound service from Brisbane.

Hang on you say - what about the gauge break at Moree?

I have just been reading 'The World's Fastest Trains' by Geoffrey
Freeman Allen - particularly the chapter 'Spain joins the high-speed
club'. The Spain-France Talgo trains have laterally movable stub axles
which enable multiple gauge use. I see no reason why the same
arrangement might not be used to run a Bribane to Moree to Sydney
service.

Additional patronage might also come from an interchange at some point
with the high speed inland freight line proposed to run through the back
blocks of qld and nsw to Darwin. no doubt this line would hold some
promise for high speed passenger traffic as well so Melbourne passengers
could catch the high speed train northwards and interchange at some
point with the Moree service to go to Brisbane. they might even find it
faster to go Melbourne to Sydney via Moree!

cheers Peter