Re: FP-11 Withdrawal Date

david virgo (dvirgo@pcug.org.au) wrote:
: more work was done on the wiring and electricals compared to FP11. It may
: not be a major change to most but if you're working on the blessed things,
: the changes (such us wiring through terminal blocks, the type of wire used
: etc) make a difference.

Yup :)

That is for sure :) 12 is very different to 11. 7 is different again, 7 still has electric radiator fans, it must have been the only one built like that as the comeng plans record the  change in '68.

: As far the difficulty in getting parts for transmissions and engines, (Karl
: can correct me here) the transmissions were available until recently as they
: are common to some Army Personnel Carriers. The engines are Leyland 400s
: which we think were common in quite a few road vehicles. Of course once
: these parts became hard to get NEW and locally, then I suppose the workshops
: would have stopped maintaining the vehicles.

Voith has told me they can still get parts/repair those 542 U+S transmissions in sydney if needed.

Leyland 400s aren't too hard to get parts for, I suspect many Leyland buses from around that era were fitted  with that type of engine. Some of the transfer buses they use at the domestic air  terminal sound similar!

Karl

Karl Maftoum
Computer Engineering student at the University of Canberra, Australia

Email: k.maftoum@student.canberra.edu.au