Re: FP-11 Withdrawal Date

>>I'd be interested to know why the railways stripped 12 and not 11, 12
>>being considerably more modern.
>
><snip again>
>
>According to Rail Motor and XPT's FP 7 to 12 were introduced between April
>and July 1968 so they are all much the same age. FP13 which was built as a
>passenger bus was introduced the following year.

When you have a look inside FP12 at Goulburn,  what you notice is that a lot
more work was done on the wiring and electricals compared to FP11. It may
not be a major change to most but if you're working on the blessed things,
the changes (such us wiring through terminal blocks, the type of wire used
etc) make a difference.

As far the difficulty in getting parts for transmissions and engines, (Karl
can correct me here) the transmissions were available until recently as they
are common to some Army Personnel Carriers. The engines are Leyland 400s
which we think were common in quite a few road vehicles. Of course once
these parts became hard to get NEW and locally, then I suppose the workshops
would have stopped maintaining the vehicles.

The need for the vehicles was greatly reduced when electronic transfers to
payees bank accounts came in.

DV