Re: Implications of ICE crash

Bill wrote:
snip

> I am puzzled, however, at reports that passengers heard noises and felt
> vibrations some 2 mins before the crash. Did it not occur to anyone to pull the
> tap for emergency stop? I certainly would have, but then, I know enough about
> rail transport to realise that pulling the tap would have been prudent. At 200
> km/hr, strange noises and vibrations are not to be tolerated!

 It is a couple of years ago that I rode on an ICE in Germany, but seem to remember
that there was no 'emergency cord' or similar, except perhaps at the end of the
coach. Also, at 200km/h, several km would not take many seconds to travel over, hence
little time for passengers/cew to react.

--
Bruce L. Greening
bgreeni@ibm.net