Implications of ICE crash

It is rather unfortunate that the ICE crash happens just as the government
makes its final decision on the VFT. I am not trying to downplay the
tragedy of the crash, it is a terrible event. However I hope it will not
influence the decision.

The line was not a dedicated high speed line. It was a normal running line
which had been upgraded to 200km/h some years ago. At this stage it
appears the train somehow divided and the rear portion derailed and struck
the bridge, which the collapsed on the train. (Sound familiar, anyone?)
The normal length of a first generation ICE set is 410m. The rear portion
was reduced to 50m. You can imagine what sort of momentum was involved,
considering the front portion (loco and 3 cars), took 2300m to stop even
on emergency brake.

Does anybody know what happens to the trailing power car if the train
divides? Does the loss of the train pipe and MU line cut off power? What
would happen if an XPT divided?

We should all extend our thoughts and prayers to the victims of this tragedy.

Cheers
David