Re: Implications of ICE crash

Hopefully the ICE crash will not unduly influence the VFT decision, any more than
the crash of an airliner influences a decision to extend air services. Still,
politicians take fright at the silliest things..........

It seems that a damaged wheel or tyre was involved, and may even be the proximate
cause. This will lead to a careful examination of the design, manufacturing,
inspection, and maintenance systems for the wheelsets and bogies, and no doubt
lead to improvements that reduce the likelihood of an occurrence.

I am puzzled, however, at reports that passengers heard noises and felt
vibrations some 2 mins before the crash. Did it not occur to anyone to pull the
tap for emergency stop? I certainly would have, but then, I know enough about
rail transport to realise that pulling the tap would have been prudent. At 200
km/hr, strange noises and vibrations are not to be tolerated!

Another aspect that surprises me is that the bridge apparently collapsed so
easily. There were many postings on the Granville accident recently, so I know it
is still widely remembered. I thought railway civil engineers everywhere
recognised, as a result of Granville, that central overbridge piers alongside
high speed tracks should be "hardened" or protected to reduce the likelihood of
collapse if struck by derailed trains.

Bill