Re: Implications of ICE crash

In article <3577D994.E4CC7207@xtra.co.nz>, Bill <wguest@xtra.co.nz>
writes
>Hopefully the ICE crash will not unduly influence the VFT decision, any more
>than
>the crash of an airliner influences a decision to extend air services. Still,
>politicians take fright at the silliest things..........
>
>It seems that a damaged wheel or tyre was involved, and may even be the
>proximate
>cause. This will lead to a careful examination of the design, manufacturing,
>inspection, and maintenance systems for the wheelsets and bogies, and no doubt
>lead to improvements that reduce the likelihood of an occurrence.
>
>I am puzzled, however, at reports that passengers heard noises and felt
>vibrations some 2 mins before the crash. Did it not occur to anyone to pull the
>tap for emergency stop? I certainly would have, but then, I know enough about
>rail transport to realise that pulling the tap would have been prudent. At 200
>km/hr, strange noises and vibrations are not to be tolerated!

You'd be surprised what people won't do!

I once interviewed a woman for a job, who'd lost her foot in a train
accident.   She tried to board a train just leaving a suburban cstation
in Birmingham and couldn't open the door (old slam-door stock).   She
ended up on the running board of the train and eventually fell off and
beneath it with terrible consequences (though it could have been much
worse, of course).

Anyway, while she was stuck on the outside of the carriage, tow elderly
ladies inside the train saw the woman and her predicament.   one of them
went to pull the communication cord, but the otehr one STOPPED HER,
saying "Oh, don't pull that dear, there's a GBP 50 fine!"

People!
--
Ian Jelf        http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Birmingham, UK