Re: Implications of ICE crash

David Bromage wrote:

> The line was not a dedicated high speed line. It was a normal running line
> which had been upgraded to 200km/h some years ago. At this stage it
> appears the train somehow divided and the rear portion derailed and struck
> the bridge, which the collapsed on the train. (Sound familiar, anyone?)

According to the news reports we are getting here, it seems the train
derailed because a wheel came off the track (tyre problem) some kms
before the crash, which was at a set of points. Surviving passengers
report the vibration/noise associated with such an incident. The train
derailed when the slipped wheel hit the points.

> The normal length of a first generation ICE set is 410m. The rear portion
> was reduced to 50m. You can imagine what sort of momentum was involved,
> considering the front portion (loco and 3 cars), took 2300m to stop even
> on emergency brake.

The news reports here say the loco kept going because the driver didn't
know he had lost his train, which derailed behind him.

I must say this does sound odd; I would have thought there would have
been a major and notcicable difference in the traction load/speed of the
loco on suddenly losing all those heavy carriages at such a speed.

> We should all extend our thoughts and prayers to the victims of this
> tragedy.

Indeed, as I also do each time a train falls into a river in somewhere
like India, 400 people die and if they are lucky, it gets a paragraph on
page 125 of newspapers in New Zealand, Australia, the US, UK and the
like.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

While Parliament is in session, no working person's income, nor anyone's
rights and freedoms, are safe from plunder by their elected
representatives.