Re: Private investment in permanent way

Ben Staples wrote in message <35b916a3.0@139.134.5.33>...
>I have to admit, I am a little dubious about private ownership of track
>infrastructure, if it is to be open access. Giving private enterprise a
>Monopoly is never a good thing. Look at the UK experience, where
RailTrack's
>(I think that's right) only aim in life is to squeeze the most money out of
>operators without annoying the rail regulator too much. I'd like to see the
>RTA with the same goal, the roads would be shocking.
>
>What's wrong with modelling the rail system the same way roads are handled.
>State owned roads, Federal government gives them money for Federal
Highways,
>and RONI's. All regulations are standardised Australia wide.

My view is that if the track is taken over by private interests it will
either be owned by the only surviving intercapital freight operator or if
two survive by a joint venture company. The problem for open access is
really only likely to occur with passenger operators and short line
operators operating non competing services on the main lines.

Lets face it, the competition is with road transport anyway.

Barry Campbell