Re: Private investment in permanent way

I have to admit, I am a little dubious about private ownership of track
infrastructure, if it is to be open access. Giving private enterprise a
Monopoly is never a good thing. Look at the UK experience, where RailTrack's
(I think that's right) only aim in life is to squeeze the most money out of
operators without annoying the rail regulator too much. I'd like to see the
RTA with the same goal, the roads would be shocking.

What's wrong with modelling the rail system the same way roads are handled.
State owned roads, Federal government gives them money for Federal Highways,
and RONI's. All regulations are standardised Australia wide.

Ben Staples