Re: Private investment in permanent way

In article <35b916a3.0@139.134.5.33> "Ben Staples" <BenKim@bigpond.com> writes:
>From: "Ben Staples" <BenKim@bigpond.com>
>Subject: Re: Private investment in permanent way
>Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 07:40:22 +1000

>I have to admit, I am a little dubious about private ownership of track
>infrastructure, if it is to be open access. Giving private enterprise a
>Monopoly is never a good thing. Look at the UK experience, where RailTrack's
>(I think that's right) only aim in life is to squeeze the most money out of
>operators without annoying the rail regulator too much. I'd like to see the
>RTA with the same goal, the roads would be shocking.

>What's wrong with modelling the rail system the same way roads are handled.
>State owned roads, Federal government gives them money for Federal Highways,
>and RONI's. All regulations are standardised Australia wide.

>Ben Staples

Absolutely nothing, it would be a great idea, and the feds have now tried I
believe 3 times to get a rail agreement similar to the road one.
Peter Morris (the Transport Minister in the Keating Govt was the last to have
a go.)
In every case however the States have flatly refused, wanting the
funding , but refusing to agree on national standards.

cheers
MD