Re: New stuff printed on my Metcard

>: In Victoria as at last year it was $100. (Having been billed 3 penalty
units
>: recently)
>
>So you are telling me that traveling with out a valid ticket which
>is 10 penalty units is a $1000 fine?
>
>It is only a $100 fine.

Without having looked at the relevant Act, what is actually fined 10 penalty
points? Is it the on the spot fine or the maximum fine if taken to court? If
it is the latter, I can well believe it is 10 penalty units, court fines are
usually a lot stiffer than on the spot ones (eg speeding, red light running,
etc). I am pretty sure a penalty point is $100 as I was charged with
careless driving after a nasty accident on the Westgate bridge and the
maximum fine was 12 penalty units which was explained by a community legal
service at the time as being $100 if my memory is correct.