Re: Photographic charters (was Steamfreight 98)

The British have the advantage of a HUGE rail following, and that their
railways are almost all fully fenced. Controllinc accesss to the lineside
is made easier by this, and there is a bigger market for them to pursue.
There is still debate over there about the 'morality' of restricting
access to special photographic charters, as evinced by letters and
articles in the railway press complianing about 'elitism' about six months
ago.

I just do not understand this. Surely if someone has paid good money to
hire a train of an extraordinary consist, time or whatever for
photographic reasons, they have every right to expect to have the
privilege of having the train to themselves. After all, if these people
had not paid, the train would not have run.

As far as the CMR goes, I think it is a great idea, and wish the society
every success. My suggestion would be that they close the lineside tracks
and station grounds to all but pass-carrying photographers (charge, say
$20), and in the areas they cannot prevent the train being motorcaded or
photographed , deliberately deface the locomotive with a huge magnetic
advertising sign or similar.

Perhaps they could organise a photographers' special along these lines.

I know some of you are goingto object to this kind of thinking, but the
fact is that someone has to pay for the operation of these machines, and
they are expensive to run. It is not fair to the volunteer oragnisations
that their efforts be abused.

--
Thisa new .sig for the benefit of Roo.