Re: Photographic charters (was Steamfreight 98)

On 18 Jul 1998 10:58:23 +1000, lachie@silas-2.cc.monash.edu.au
(Lachie) wrote:

 After all, if these people
>had not paid, the train would not have run.
>
>As far as the CMR goes, I think it is a great idea, and wish the society
>every success. My suggestion would be that they close the lineside tracks
>and station grounds to all but pass-carrying photographers (charge, say
>$20), and in the areas they cannot prevent the train being motorcaded or
>photographed , deliberately deface the locomotive with a huge magnetic
>advertising sign or similar.
>
>I know some of you are goingto object to this kind of thinking, but the
>fact is that someone has to pay for the operation of these machines, and
>they are expensive to run. It is not fair to the volunteer oragnisations
>that their efforts be abused.

It is not fair to those that have paid their money for a steam freight
train and then get a cloud of dust and the roar of a car in their
shots.

Now that we have proved the value of an event like this to the local
community we hope that next year we can close roads with manned
blockades and totally close our access tracks. Prices next year will
probably in the region of $15 a day/$25 weekend. We hope that those
who drove their cars this time can be convinced (shamed) into
travelling by train next year.

Too many freeloaders + too few fare payers = no event.

See you at Steamfreight 99.

Cheers

Krel
All's well that ends.