Re: Tangaras and trees

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998 22:28:49 +1000, "Wollongong Quokka"
<quokka@zip.net.au> wrote:

>After we moved off, the guard informed us that cause of the delay was that
>"a tree had fallen over and tripped the air"... which didn't mean a lot to
>us.  Anyone know what he meant by this?

Presumably the refuse from a fallen tree was positioned near the
trackside such that it fouled the "train stop" trip cock on the
leading car.  The trip cock is normally only intended to be activated
by the ground level trackside trip stop arm assocaited with signals.
When the signal is showing a danger indication. the trip stop arm is
raised so that any train which tries to pass the signal will have
emergency braking applied.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill Bolton                 billbolton@computer.org