Re: Melbourne - Metcard validation before every trip

: As far as I can see (from some experimentation at an unmanned gate at
: Museum), the machines are now set up so that when going out of a
: station they effectively act as "devalidators", checking if the ticket
: has been validated that day, and if so, removing that validation, as
: if the ticket has never been validated at all (the machine says "Not
: Valid" when it rejects any ticket not validated either that day or
: since the last devalidation, which is completely untrue in the case of
: monthlies.

Legal problem: A valid ticket is one with an expiry date on it (not
stored inside) so this devalidation does not get them around the problem
of traveling without a valid ticket.

And I think them not letting you out is detention and under common law
if there is no reason for the detention then it is a CRIMINAL offence.

Until the Transport Act is changed and Parliment nevers sits in Victoria
any more.  Then it stands as is.

They can't not refuse or deny you exit from the station of you have a
ticket with a printed expiry date, regardless of what is stored in the
ticket.

--
Chris Gordon
  email - cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au