Re: Bridgeworks Dynon Road

>> Gday all.
>> While travelling along Dynon Rd the other day, I noticed that
>> there are two new bridge abutments being constructed alongside
>> the existing rail bridge over Dynon Road. The strange thing is
>> that the two new abutments are diagonally opposite each other,
>> one on either side of the existing bridge.
>> Anyone know whats happening here???
>
>Took me a while to work this one out too.  I travel past there every day
>and finallly cliucked the other week.  They are bridge protection beams.
>Instead of the current block of concrete bolted to the bridge itself, they
>are installing self supporting devices to stop impact with the bridge.
>This bridge is regularly struck by oversize containers on trucks.
>I also recall seeing this particular job in the tenders section in The Age
>many months ago.  I think there were other bridges to be done too.
>
>--
Trucks striking the beams as they are now (on an angle) tend to tip
sideways, dropping their load (container) on to whatever is beside
them. This has resulted in at least one death in the past year or so.
With the new beams at right angles it is believed that more of the
impact will be taken by the load, and any following traffic may have
time to get out of the way.

Cheers

Krel
All's well that ends.