Re: Bridgeworks Dynon Road

In article <6oa174$6hm$1@news.alphalink.com.au>, robbie@alphalink.com.au
(Rob O'regan) wrote:

> Gday all.
> While travelling along Dynon Rd the other day, I noticed that
> there are two new bridge abutments being constructed alongside
> the existing rail bridge over Dynon Road. The strange thing is
> that the two new abutments are diagonally opposite each other,
> one on either side of the existing bridge.
> Anyone know whats happening here???

Took me a while to work this one out too.  I travel past there every day
and finallly cliucked the other week.  They are bridge protection beams.
Instead of the current block of concrete bolted to the bridge itself, they
are installing self supporting devices to stop impact with the bridge.
This bridge is regularly struck by oversize containers on trucks.
I also recall seeing this particular job in the tenders section in The Age
many months ago.  I think there were other bridges to be done too.

--
Stuart Thyer
Photographer-Department of Anatomy