Re: News on the VST (Very Slow Train)

On 12 Jul 1998 05:58:45 GMT, dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
wrote:

>Peter Berrett (pberrett@tbsa.com.au) wrote:
>> For Overland fans I came across an interesting advert on page 28 of The
>> Melbourne Age 11/7/1198. Apparently tenders have been called by Victrack
>> for concrete sleepering of Pra Pura to Maroona.
>
>> A small step, but one that hopefully will improve the VST's timings a
>> little.
>
>Not necessarily. Newport to North Geelong has concrete sleepers, and is
>only 80km/h. You can make the sleepers from Swiss cheese as far as I'm
>concerned, but it doesn't mean anything unless they're ballasted properly
>and the track is aligned.
>
>Cheers
>David
David the 80K speed restriction from newport to vite vite is a union
enforced restriction A/C the PTC 'S refusal to supply repeating
signals at the loops if these signals were planted tomorrow i'm sure
the restriction would be lifted and the speed would be 115K on passes
and 100K on superfreighters!!!
Regards Paul Johnston (NRC Melb)