Re: Start of ARTC.

Maurie Daly wrote:
> Which begs the interesting question , just how much bidirectional signalled
> double track actually exists and is regularily used , ie the bidirectional bit.
> The obvious example is Newport - Nth Geelong A , but how much more is there?

Sunshine - Deer Park West (?)

> Also how often do overtaking movements on the Geelong line occur,ie
> is this a regularily scheduled thing.

Yep, happens every night.  A spark departs Werribee Platform 2, crosses
straight to the east line.  8246 up WMB pass departs platform 1, runs up
the west line, overtakes the spark anywhere between Werribee and
Laverton Jcn .  I believe The Vinelander regularly used to run down the
west line (well that's what the Conny told me the last time I travelled
on it)  Overtakes are quite common south of Werribee too.  The
bi-directional is real handy during trackwork too (which there's been
quite a lot of in the past few months, much resleepering and tamping of
both lines).

> Krels right abought Harden to Goulburn , its an ideal candidate for this sort of thing.

I would like to see the BG Seymour-Albury converted to SG and similarly
the two lines signalled for bi-directional operation.  Obviously you'd
convert the Oaklands to SG as well.  If you then converted the Goulburn
Valley to SG, you would go the whole-hog and have one BG line
Melb-Seymour for the local passes, then 2 bi-directional signalled SG
tracks Melb-Seymour-Albury....must the the sorta stuff train controllers
dream of :)  You'd have to connect the SG into Nth Geelong yard, and
into Shell Corio (for trains 9350/9250 Nth Geelong - Wodonga goods).
Wouldn't be that hard.

Cheers,
CH.
--