Re: C class's and Belarine Peninsula Railways (two qns)

>I do not know why they aren't using them.

>--
>Bye for now,
>Eben.

>http://www.klever.net.au/~ebenlevy/

>A cat *WILL* blink when hit by a hammer.

There (NR) arnt using them (the Cs) simply because NR have a glut of locos
already, and since the Cs being two strokes are less fuel efficient than the 4
stroke NRs , there isnt a great reason to use them if you dont have to.
Why they were purchased by Vline in the first place is a question that a lot
of people have asked and not got any sensible answers too.
At the time of purchase , it just happened that the Vic Transport Minister was
also a board member of Clyde GM, and made the claim that these new locos ( The
C Class) were the most efficient and reliable locomotives available at the
time with an expected life of 40 years, (could you beleive it).
Given at the time of purchase , they were too heavy to run anywhere at full
speed , and were initially restricted to the Western Line at 80 km/h .
They were effectively the same model as the AN AL class with a custom designed
Vline body, would have been a hell of a lot cheaper to simply buy some ALs as
the PTC later did with the BL / G orders from Clyde.

It will be a shame if they are scrapped, but with the current loco glut at the
present time , I cant see much future for them unless NR are prepared to sell
them maybee to someone like ASR.

cheers
MD