Re: Private grain trains in NSW

Bob wrote:

> David Bromage wrote:
>
> > Bob (gioia@fastlink.com.au) wrote:
> > >  Sounds like another bit of Austrac propaganda.
> >
> > This came from a FreightCorp driver.
> >

> Junee is a small town and rumours travel fast
>
> > >AS for private wheat haulage, where are the waggons coming from?
> >
> > Apparently buying the current wagons from FreightCorp.
> >

> Why would Freightcorp want to sell their waggons to anyone else. There is a
> shortage of grain hoppers at present and they are converting coal hopper to
> help. Also the black hoppers are old and too slow and will soon need
> replacing.
>
> > >How would NRC locos be used on Austrac trains?
> >
> > They wouldn't. Go back and read what I wrote again. Austrac isn't running
> > the train, GrainCorp is. Austrac and NR would simply have the contract to
> > supply motive power over different sections of the run, Austrac on the
> > branch lines and NR on the main.
> >

> Well, I didn't know that GrainCorp was an accredited operator in NSW. Since
> when? They could get Mickey Mouse to supply the power but they still need to
> be an acredited operator. And they still dont have waggons.
>
> > >NRC have thier own interests to protect and if there was wheat trains to
> > >be hauled why would they let a tin pot turnout like Austrac make money
> > >ahead of them?
> >
> > NR offered their locos for "hook and pull" services. Austrac has the
> > branch line locos to haul grain into Junee and Cootamundra, and NR has the
> > big power to haul it to Port Kembla or Melbourne.
> >

> Austrac only have 2 operable locos. These run on the infrequent container
> train to Sydney. Are you saying that the containers will have to wait while
> the grain traffic is on. There is only so much 2 clapped out and repainted old
> 48s can do.                                    Bob

Austrac own three (two operational, no immediate plans to get the third accredited
as yet) 48's and a hiring ST35 for the time being, all three loco's see service.
Let me tell you, that the combination of 4814/ST35  don't perform like your so
called "CLAPPED OUT" loco's.

Graincorp isn't accredited but from what I have gathered, they'll hire/lease the
wagons and let a contract out for the branch line haulage. So I don't see why they
need to be accredited, they just pay to use the wagons and let an accredited
company to haul them.