Re: Private grain trains in NSW

David Bromage wrote:

> Got this from a Junee driver. GrainCorp is to start running its own trains
> early this year. They will (probably) own the wheat hoppers and contract
> out haulage. Austrac will probably do the haulage on the branch lines into
> Junee and Cootamundra (and LVR to Harden?). From there to port is still
> uncertain. FreightCorp don't seem to be flushed with big locomotives at
> the moment. NR does have the Cs mothballed at Junee, so don't be surprised
> if you see them (and even the occasional NR!) hauling grain. Some grain
> may even be sent to Victoria for export.
>
> Not sure what might happen in the rest of the state. Maybe a job for
> Silverton?
>
> Cheers
> David

  Sounds like another bit of Austrac propaganda. We've heard this all before
with no results. Mr Austrac told me that they would be running coal in the
Hunter by late last year hauling private waggons. The waggons are here, hauled
by Freightcorp and still no sigh of Austrac. What about their story about all
the Hammersley locos they had and were rebuilding to run in NSW? I suspect
that they are on the same production line as the Powerhouse on wheels that
they were going to rebuild. At one stage late last year, Austrac were so
desperate that they were going to hire a 47 class from LVR. The deal didn't go
ahead because Austrac didnt want to put up any money up front.
AS for private wheat haulage, where are the waggons coming from? You dont just
go to the local hobby shop and order several dozen real waggons! Any new
waggons ordered now would take up to 12 months before they were delivered and
commisioned to service. How would NRC locos be used on Austrac trains? NRC
have thier own interests to protect and if there was wheat trains to be hauled
why would they let a tin pot turnout like Austrac make money ahead of them?
Just another load of crap from Junee. They seem to be good at this!
                                        Bob