Re: Private grain trains in NSW

David Bromage wrote:

> Bob (gioia@fastlink.com.au) wrote:
> >Why would Freightcorp want to sell their waggons to anyone else.
>
> Money?
>
> >There is a
> >shortage of grain hoppers at present and they are converting coal hopper to
> >help. Also the black hoppers are old and too slow and will soon need
> >replacing.
>
> All the more reason FreightCorp would want them off their hands. Do you
> really think they'd spend a fortune to replace them when they might lose
> the traffic in a year anyway? Take some fast cash from the new operator
> and let them worry about replacing them.
>
> >Well, I didn't know that GrainCorp was an accredited operator in NSW.
>
> If they are not providing their own crews and safeworking staff, they
> won't need to be.
>
> >There is only so much 2 clapped out and repainted old 48s can do.
>
> Are you going to tell FreightCorp and Silverton or shall I?
>
> Cheers
> David

  Why would Freightcorp suddenly not want to haul wheat? This does not make
sense. They arn't in the business of selling anything off to their competitors
in fact they no longer sell operable locos after the Austrac debarcle. The same
applies to waggons. If  GrainCorp wants to own waggons it wouldn't matter who
hauls them, they still need to be an accredtied operator with the DOT. The 48s
in the Freightcorp fleet are all subject to CCOs and overhaul programs. As a
matter of fact the Mk1s that were sold to Austrac haven't seen an overhaul for
many years. This is unless you call a can of paint a liquid overhaul.
                Bob