Re: Tenterfield railway to reopen?

Bill Bolton wrote:

> Bob <gioia@fastlink.com.au> wrote:
>
> >   A similar answer to that of 5711. We will see a man on Mars before a loco is
> > released from Dorrigo to some tin pot organisation that has no idea about running
> > steam or any other type of trains.
>
> A lot of people said the same thing about the Bendigo Trust when the
> Bendigo Tramway system was abandoned.  Despite opposition from the
> established tramway preservation organisations, the Trust went on to
> achieve something unique in the world in terms of tramcar
> preservation.
>
> There seems to me to be a similar hubris evident amongst many heavy
> rail preservation groups who seem to believe that only they could
> possibly have the ability to adequately handle heavy rail
> preservation.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bill
>
> Bill Bolton
> Sydney, Australia

  There is a big difference here. The Bendigo trust was established to save an existing
tram system complete with all its trams. The Tenterfield people have (1) No access to
the track yet, (2) No locomotives and(3) No carriages. When we consider that it is 1998
and there are no steam locomotives or carriages for sale any "Johnny come lately" group
that starts up now don't have a chance. Oh yes and I forgot the most important thing,
(4) No money. I suppose that they could ask for some grant money ,to the detriment of
all the existing groups.
                                                Bob