Re: Tenterfield railway to reopen?

Derek Woodlands (kingpin@magna.com.au) wrote:
>I've got my nephew down from Tenterfield for a while and he tells me
>that there is talk in the town of reopening the railway line to
>Armidale and running a steam service on it as a tourist attraction.

There are two groups with an idea of running a tourist railway. One is the
New England Railway who have ideas about Armidale to Glen Innes. This
section is nominally still open, although nothing has run past Dumeresq
for many years.

The other group is based at Tenterfield and wants to run Tenterfield to
Wallangarra as a tourist railway.

Many bridges between Glen Innes and Wallangarra have been burnt by
bushfires, so that isn't likely.

>Anyone got a spare steam locomotive for them?  ;-)

Dorrigo is only 90 mins by road from Armidale. There are a few locos there
doing nothing. :)

I doubt any of it will be a reality in the forseeable future.

Cheers
David

David Bromage                                        dbromage@metz.une.edu.au
Division of Chemistry                        http://metz.une.edu.au/~dbromage
School of Physical Sciences and Engineering
University of New England
Armidale, NSW 2351
Australia