WCR happenings & some arrisig Qs

A few observations and arising questions about WCR operations from
recent visits to Warrnambool for Craig or whoever else has the answers
…

1. Over the last week a single S was stabled overnight on a number of
occasions and used for intensive shunting of carriages to and from the
storage loops to the dead end number 4 road which seems to be a
temporary maintenance location.  This provided some great photo
opportunities with two locos working together in the yard.  Will the
new building at Warrnambool be used to stable locos overnight as well
?

2. I noticed a carriage cleaning plant in peices near the turntable.
So it appears carriages, and perhaps locos, will be cleaned externally
as well as internally at Warrnambool.

3. Two tracks have been laid into the shed from the western end,
converging on a point, an additional point leads from the denington
end towards No.4, but doesn’t line up with it at all, while the
diverging point for insertion into the west end of No.2 was under
construction.   What will be done with the dead end No.4 road ?  Will
the existing one be removed to be replaced by another running in the
opposite direction ?   Or will it be slewed across to form a short
loop ?   This wasn’t obvious from the work so far.   Also, what
arrangement will be used at the western end of the shed ?   two dead
ends seems the most obvious, but its possible one or both could link
to the turntable either directly or via a turnout on the existing
turntable road.  By laying them on a curve they could avoid the
turntable altogether thus providing extra length, unless the space is
required for extra radiating roads from the turntable …

4. The stabling location for the A for the nightly V/line freight has
moved from the east loop of no.2 to the freight gate siding next to
the goods shed.  WCR seem to be taking over the entire yard !  The A
ran a trip working to Dennington at about 7 (in daylight) and on its
return I got a good shot of the A waiting for departure next to the
stabled S.

5. There is a photo of a WCR B in the railpage archives that shows an
ex V/line D van in WCR livery marshaled behind the loco.  Do these
vans appear in consists with any regularity ?    I observed a number
of trains arriving and departing from Warrnambool during the last week
and none had vans other than the power vans converted from CPs.  Have
the juiced up CPs removed the need for the D vans or does the parcels
service only run to Geelong ?

6. I have also seen VLCX vans in WCR livery at both the Ballarat East
shops and Warrnambool (although the Warrnambool vans seem to have been
in the same position on the freight gate track for a year !).  What
use are these put to / intended for ?   Perhaps they are non-revenue
stock for equipment storage ?

7. Is there any easy way to find out which V/line cars have been hired
at different times ?  I am considering doing some models of WCR stock
and the multi-liveried trains I saw in the last year are irresistable
! (vis WCR, Tangerine and Crimson all in one train).  Hitherto I have
stuck to late 60s / 70s VR, but I am seeing some appeal in modelling
something that can be seen _now_.

In conclusion, Warrnambool showed once again what an intersting rail
location it is, well worth a visit if your are staying anywhere
nearby, especially around midday on during the week.

regards,

David A.

David_Arblaster@dse.vic.gov.au  | David Arblaster,
mercury@netspace.net.au         | Melbourne, Australia
"What does it mean when a man unearths an ancient urn but buries
 his thermos flask in the process ?"  Michael Leunig