Re: WCR happenings & some arrisig Qs

G'day,

David A. wrote:
> 1. Over the last week a single S was stabled overnight on a number of
> occasions and used for intensive shunting of carriages to and from the
> storage loops to the dead end number 4 road which seems to be a
> temporary maintenance location.

The road you refer to is known as the 'tank road'.  No. 4 road is
actually down near the turntable.  Yes, the tank road is where
maintenance is currently undertaken.  The usual loco roster is for the
locomotive which runs 8207 (8:49 down) then comes off at Warrnambool,
and returns on 8232 (12:20 up) the following day - that's the loco you
see overnight at WMB.

> This provided some great photo
> opportunities with two locos working together in the yard.  Will the
> new building at Warrnambool be used to stable locos overnight as well
> ?

Possible - the tank road will be removed, so they'll have to go
somewhere.  You'll have noticed the tank road has been shortened, due to
trackwork in the space formerly occupied by the down end of the tank
road.

> 2. I noticed a carriage cleaning plant in peices near the turntable.
> So it appears carriages, and perhaps locos, will be cleaned externally
> as well as internally at Warrnambool.

Correct.

> 3. Two tracks have been laid into the shed from the western end,
> converging on a point, an additional point leads from the denington
> end towards No.4, but doesn’t line up with it at all, while the
> diverging point for insertion into the west end of No.2 was under
> construction.   What will be done with the dead end No.4 road ?

The tank road will be removed.  A set of points will go into the
existing no. 2 road, and will connect with the roads to the shed (which
are already in place).  Did you get a look inside the shed?  The road
closest to the mainline is a pit, running the length of the shed.  4
carriages can be stabled in there (2 in each road).

> Also, what
> arrangement will be used at the western end of the shed ?   two dead
> ends seems the most obvious, but its possible one or both could link
> to the turntable either directly or via a turnout on the existing
> turntable road.  By laying them on a curve they could avoid the
> turntable altogether thus providing extra length, unless the space is
> required for extra radiating roads from the turntable …

>From memory, there will be a turnout (connecting the two shed roads into
one), which will then proceed onto the turntable.

> 5. There is a photo of a WCR B in the railpage archives that shows an
> ex V/line D van in WCR livery marshaled behind the loco.  Do these
> vans appear in consists with any regularity ?

No.

>I observed a number
> of trains arriving and departing from Warrnambool during the last week
> and none had vans other than the power vans converted from CPs.  Have
> the juiced up CPs removed the need for the D vans or does the parcels
> service only run to Geelong ?

PCP292 and PCP294 operate on all trains, unless they're withdrawn from
traffic for maintenance (unusual).  Their regular exams are carried out
at WMB on Sunday's, hence they can receive their scheduled maintenance,
and still run all trains (ditto ACZ252 and ACZ255 for the time being,
ACZ257 is not too far from returning).  Parcels run right through - the
main concern is not parcels though - it's luggage.  Parcels generally
require little space, but you often have HEAPS of passenger luggage.
The D vans (I think only Dt319 is in traffic at the moment) are used
only when required - for example, a couple of months back we had large
groups of kids for the Somers Camp, and up to 13 brute's of luggage.
That requires a D van.  Note also ACZ cars have virtually no luggage
space, unlike the ACN cars.

> 6. I have also seen VLCX vans in WCR livery at both the Ballarat East
> shops and Warrnambool (although the Warrnambool vans seem to have been
> in the same position on the freight gate track for a year !).  What
> use are these put to / intended for ?   Perhaps they are non-revenue
> stock for equipment storage ?

Correct, they are used for storage.

> 7. Is there any easy way to find out which V/line cars have been hired
> at different times ?  I am considering doing some models of WCR stock
> and the multi-liveried trains I saw in the last year are irresistable
> ! (vis WCR, Tangerine and Crimson all in one train).  Hitherto I have
> stuck to late 60s / 70s VR, but I am seeing some appeal in modelling
> something that can be seen _now_.

Crimson ACZ262 has appeared on occasions, BRS227 (South Gippsland
Railway) has also been used.  Currently, BS201, BRS223 and BRS225
(riveted ex SOP) are still Orange.

> In conclusion, Warrnambool showed once again what an intersting rail
> location it is, well worth a visit if your are staying anywhere
> nearby, especially around midday on during the week.

When all the trackwork, carwash etc are finished, it'll be quite an
impressive, and functional little terminal.

Cheers,
Craig.
--
Craig Haber