Re: FreightCorp Radios

Paul wrote:

> Maurie Daly wrote in message ...
> >  8< snip
> >The SRA Train Radio System or whatever it is now called is / was /
> always
> will
> >be a total disaster.
>
> I have trouble understanding how, nearly 29 years after we put a man
> on the
> moon, we haven't sorted basic stuff like this out. I mean really, this
> is
> 1998!  The technolgy needed isn't even particularly new. Out here in
> the
> remote west it's still copper wires, and telephones attached to poles,
> ala
> steamdays. They talk here about upgrading to CTC, when this day and
> age we
> shouldn't even have signals. It should all be in the cab, along with a
>
> telephone to simply pick up and talk to a controller.
> I'm sure Maurie could come up with a system in less than a week, which
> is
> better than anything in Australia today.

But in the same fashion as new Australian inventions/ideas have taken
over the last 25+ years, once developed it would be bought by some firm
from outside of Oz and sold back to us at extortionist rates.  The
Governments would then buy it and spend the next 15 years trying to
implement it.

The bean counter in power have a lot to answer for!

\/\/arry.