Re: FreightCorp Radios

Paul wrote:

> Maurie Daly wrote in message ...
> >  8< snip
> >The SRA Train Radio System or whatever it is now called is / was / always
> will
> >be a total disaster.
>
> I have trouble understanding how, nearly 29 years after we put a man on the
> moon, we haven't sorted basic stuff like this out. I mean really, this is
> 1998!  The technolgy needed isn't even particularly new. Out here in the
> remote west it's still copper wires, and telephones attached to poles, ala
> steamdays. They talk here about upgrading to CTC, when this day and age we
> shouldn't even have signals. It should all be in the cab, along with a
> telephone to simply pick up and talk to a controller.
> I'm sure Maurie could come up with a system in less than a week, which is
> better than anything in Australia today.
>
> My 2c worth, that's better...
> Paul P.

Hey BOB YOU READING THIS!!!!

Victoria has had a radio system as described since the mid 80's
Pick up a Handset and ring or recieve Train control,Need a Deisel
Maintainer, talk to the Fuel Point, want to tell the Boss about his
ancestors, ask Manpower to pass it on for you! a secondary system was
provided for "on train" or local communication[ range varies but usefull
up to 10 km's]
NSW seem to rely a hell of a lot on walkie talkies, And I must admit
that SAR and Commonwealth Rail had a pretty good if basic system for
many years.
    Of course all that changed with NR's new wiz-bang system...pity
about the range of the end to end bit though....I SAID YOUR F>>>N TRAINS
COMPLETE>>>oh forget it......
                   Cheers
                                  Rod Young