Re: FreightCorp Radios

>It hasn't happened, I was having a go at the system. I think they're still
>trialing Train Orders out west somewhere.

>Drivers are supposed to log onto the new (?) radio system before departing
>Macarthur, Moss Vale or Goulbourn - or something like that. It's a pathetic
>system, way over budget, way over time (about 3 years) and looks like it was
>designed by Fischer-Price. The CityRail radio certainly looks better, but I
>don't know if it is.

The SRA Train Radio System or whatever it is now called is / was / always will
be a total disaster.
Theres nothing at all wrong with using radio for communications with trains ,
cars planes or whatever if the system is designed properly by people who know
what they are doing.
Ive worked in the Radio Comms Business for 20 years + and I cringe in horror
when I see some of the schemes which the Railways dream up.
Conceptually the Trunked Radio System that the SRA have installed should work
well if
1/ The whole system was designed and installed by the one company,which it
isnt.
2/ The Base Stations which cover the train lines were located where they would
provide the best coverage,which they arnt ,(most are simply placed along the
line in old station buildings or convenient SRA locations.
This method of design provides cost savings , in that the Railways own the
land and buildings ,but it provides the worst Radio Coverage possible.
In any case Radio shouldnt be used for safeworking unless it is digitally
encrypted so that a driver is absolutely certain that he is talking to a train
controller and that the train controller is absolutely certain that he is
talking to the correct train.
Even so , the system on its own is only barely better than nothing,in that if
a driver misinterprets an order , or a controller gives an incorrect order the
1st the controller will know about the head on , is when someone rings him up
to tell him.
Radio should be used purely for communications between drivers &
controllers,but not for safeworking,at least not on heavily trafficked lines
where opposing movements on single line sections are common.

cheers
MD

Maurie Daly
Department of Communications Lab.