Re: Would an NR be faster than an XPT???

David Proctor wrote:

> Maurie Daly <mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote in article
> <01bd1bb0$1a0d1160$16fc83c0@maurie.commslab.gov.au>...
> > >  No.  I chased it the other day, and it lost nearly half an hour
> between
> > > Penrith and Lithgow.  This was due to the fact that they chose to
> run a
> > > single NR (4,000 HP) on the consist, as opposed to two CLPs (6,000
> HP).

> > > 16 car Indian Pacific on 1 in 30 would have to be getting close to
> the
> > full
> > > goods load of an NR wouldn't it?
> > >
> > > --
> > > David Johnson
> >
> > Pretty close , about 950 tonnes for an NR on 1:33 would be the
> limit.
> > A 16 car IP would be around the 800 tonne mark .
> > I can understand though NRs reluctance to run 2 X NRs on this train
> simply
> > to get the train from Sydney to Lithgow.
>
> As NR are contracted to run the schedule as set by GSR, shouldn't they
> have
> to provide the necessary HP's to do it? Of course, I'm not a lawyer,
> but
> I'd LOVE to have a look at the contract . . . . .
>
> Why not just contract with FreightCorp to stick an 81 on the front to
> Lithgow? That would be a cheap way around the problem of 2 locos from
> Sydney to Broken Hill!

Simple answer. It all cost money and Freightcorps charges for loco hire
are outrageous. Then again would they want to supply the "enemy" with
anything more than they have to. Whats wrong with NR using two of their
81s. After all, they do have their
own.                                                Bob